Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day Seven

Well it has come to my attention that I have been enjoying the knowledge that Kaytie has also been blogging and thusly not putting a whole lot of detail into my posts.  Tonight I shall attempt to compensate for that a wee bit. Be prepared to settle in for a read.

This morning Simon left for work and the girls piled into the car. Jude drove us back to St. Andrews for a storybook lovely day trip. We started our day with a trip to the beach, it was beautiful. Oh, in the interest of being more informative and detailed, this is the beach where the famous Chariot's of Fire scene was filmed. The beach was chilly but a lot of fun. Kaytie has the most adorable enthusiasm, I absolutely love it. Her excitement and appreciation for the sea was so much fun. We put our feet in the freezing water, wrote in the sand, and had a picnic.


So St. Andrews is the location of the Women's British Open, as well as where Will and Kate attended Uni and fell in love. It is a gorgeous coastal community filled with tourists and the posh. Our first stop was the Castle; we wandered through an informative introductory area with videos, displays, and information. Then we were out in the ruins.  What I have loved about all of our castle excursions is that you can just wander in, around, and on almost everything. It really is such an explorative experience.  One of the neat features of this castle was the opportunity to wander into a mine that had been dug underneath.  This castle is one of the best existing examples of engineering warfare that still exists. A siege was attempted on the castle by mining in form underneath, and counter mines were dug to put a stop to it. I am constantly in awe of the magnitude of these structures and the history compounded within it. 

That last paragraph may be a bit misleading...these castles have not been some relaxing, meandering, reflective opportunity. They have actually been a positively fun experience to run around, screaming with Emily while hiding from Kaytie. I know that I was here for this moment but I don't exactly know when or how I became the one Emily wants to hold hands with and drag around the grocery store, and Kaytie became the one she screams and runs from. Kaytie was less than thrilled with the development, but she felt better when we explained how much Emily actually adores her. Anytime she can't see Kaytie she asks frantically where she is and we have to go find her, then when we see her we scream and run away laughing. These next few pictures are from when we are leaving the castle, Kaytie was loitering behind, and Emily was trying to find her.





After the castle we went over to the Cathedral and wandered around/ ran around in a very respectful way. I am having so much fun experiencing all of these beautiful places, but I think I might be having even more fun just spending time with these cuties!


After the Cathedral we went for the Best. Ice. Cream. Ever. I had Scottish tablet and it was delicious! From there we slowly made our way back to the car, stopping at a Sweet Shop, and then headed back to Balerno. 

Jude's Dad invited us to his home for dinner, and his wife Jane is possibly a magician in the kitchen. I have eaten a lot of excellent meals in my life but the lasagna, salad, and pavlova we were treated to tonight were divine.

So this is longer than the last few have been, but I am going to plead exhaustion and just be done now regardless. Maybe in the morning I will add more, or maybe I will just concede and Kaytie can have all of the blogging pressure to herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment